Energy Consumption And Sustainability In Wastewater Treatment Plants

Energy Consumption And Sustainability In Wastewater Treatment Plants


Criteria for choosing the appropriate technology

Presentation on the Conference: 2nd International Conference on Ecological Protection of the Planet Earth, Bio-Environment and Bio-Culture, June 2003, Sofia, Bulgaria

There are continuously growing objections against compact technical systems for wastewater treatment due to their following negative characteristics: lack of sustainability, high external energy budget, and continuously growing functional costs.

Emphasis has been given to: wastewater treatment target, purification efficiency of compact technical systems, residual loadings, ecological consequences caused by effluents into the natural recipients and "alternative technologies" using methods "closer to nature".

In addition a critical report concerning the "activated sludge process" is presented. The budgeting of carbon turnover by those plants shows a conversion to CO2 of about 38 % only, which represents the "real degradation efficiency". The rest of 62 % consists of sludge (55 %) and residual organic matter (7 %) (persistent and sometimes ecotoxic) discharged into the recipient (natural water body). This may cause serious environmental problems, which cannot be solved by any technology until now.

Read the paper (pdf format)

Συγγραφείς: Dr. Theodora Seretaki, Environmental Engineer, Rhizotechniki, Siokou 18, GR-15341 Athens


A: 18 Th. Siokou St., Athens, 15341, Greece
T: 210 6519659

Quick Link

Follow Us

Copyright © 2024 Rhizotechniki.

Design & Development By Manolis Chatzigeorgiadis


+880 322448500 Beverly Boulevard Los Angeles